Sugar waxing, also known as persian waxing or sugaring, is an effective and all-natural hair removal method that has been used since ancient times.
It uses a paste made from sugar, lemon juice, and water to remove unwanted hair from the body.
Since it only uses easy-find natural biodegradable ingredients it is a great eco-friendly option for those looking to reduce their environmental impact.
Unlike traditional waxing methods that use hot wax which can be damaging to the skin and discomforting for the user, sugar waxing is much gentler and less painful.
With sugar waxing, you’ll be able to enjoy all the same smooth skin while saving money and being kinder to your body and our planet.
Sugar Wax Recipe
To make sugar wax at home you only need 3 ingredients:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Double boiler or large saucepan
- Place the sugar in the saucepan then add the water and the lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved and all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and continue to cook the mixture until it begins to thicken and caramelize (about 10 minutes).
4. Remove the mixture from the heat and place it into a separate container to cool for about 30 minutes.
5. To use the wax, wait until the mixture is warm (not hot) and malleable (like playdoh).
6. You can use your hands or an applicator stick to grab a piece of wax and spread it in a thin layer over the skin.
Apply the wax in the opposite direction of the hair growth and use firm pressure when applying the paste in order to get the best results.
7. When ready, with a quick pull remove the wax together with the unwanted hair. Voila!
8. Keep working in small sections until all the unwanted hair is removed.
Aftercare is an essential part of any sugar wax session, both to protect your skin and get the most out of your waxing.
👉Homemade sugar wax can easily be removed from skin by washing with warm water or applying baby oil or coconut oil to loosen residual wax on skin.
👉After a waxing session, avoid using harsh soaps or hot water on the area as they can irritate the newly waxed skin.
👉Make sure to keep your skin moisturized with a gentle, fragrance-free lotion or oil such as coconut oil.
👉Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for 24 hours following the session; if you must go outside, use sunscreen to protect your skin from damage.
👉Additionally, wear loose clothing for the first few days immediately following the waxing session in order to allow air circulation and promote healing of the sensitive area.
If making sugar wax at home is not your thing, you can buy a ready made sugar wax kit like this Smooth Lab’s Sugar Waxing Kit which is made from natural and organic ingredients and its versatile formula makes the sugar wax perfect for any part of the body, from the bikini line to the eyebrows.
Or if you prefer a quick shave, check out our article on zero-waste shaving below 👇